The Grounds Department assists in Syracuse University’s sustainability efforts in a number of ways. Staff members:
- transport over 700 tons of food scraps annually to OCRRA’s Compost Facility.
- recycle construction debris from renovations and remodeling performed by Physical Plant.
- displaced during construction project) and three green roofs to allow free flow of water runoff. Green roofs are located at Brockway Garage, Sadler Dining and the Syracuse Center of Excellence.
- maintain ‘forever wild’ areas at South Campus to reduce mowing and preserve habitat.
- recycle all campus yard and tree waste at OCRRA’s Jamesville facility.
- relocate all vegetation that is displaced during construction projects.
- maintain campus tree inventory.
- select and establish beds of native and salt-resistant plants where appropriate.