Water is our most precious natural resource. Syracuse University takes water conservation seriously. As part of our efforts, SU is installing:
- showers with low-flow heads.
- sinks outfitted with automatic shut-off valves.
- grounds sprinklers controlled by timers which prevent use during mid-day, when evaporation rates are highest.
- toilets and urinals that are low-flow.
- waterless urinals in the Syracuse Center of Excellence.
- water bottle filling stations at selected drinking fountain locations.
Water taste tests, regularly held on campus, help students and employees to discover that expensive bottled water really tastes no better than readily-available alternatives.
Additionally, Syracuse University participates in Onondaga County’s Save the Rain program to reduce pollutant runoff to Onondaga Lake.